With a Boomer turning sixty every ten seconds, we are rapidly becoming an aging society. But cutting edge research on the connection between age and disease shows us that many of the preconceptions we had about how to grow old seem to need a second look, such as:
- Genetics plays a smaller role in aging…it accounts for just 25% of a person’s longevity.
- Engagement, through social interaction and activity, is a key factor in sustaining healthy lives.
- Physical fitness can recover many years of the aging process. Life-extending benefits include improved circulation by lowering blood pressure and cholesterol levels, reduced risk of cancer, boosted immune system, and improved sleep.
I personally find that over the years, it is laughter that tends to lead the charge in my book to Healthy Living. Although life certainly has its share of ups and downs, I try to take on what’s necessary and rid myself of what is not. Laughter is welcome anytime, anywhere, and unlike us, never gets old. I believe, without question, that the secret to living a healthy lifestyle begins with laughter.
So, according to Helpguide.org, here are a few benefits of laughter:
- Laughter relaxes the whole body. A hearty laugh relieves physical tension and stress, leaving your muscles relaxed for up to 45 minutes after.
- Laughter boosts the immune system. Laughter decreases stress hormones and increases immune cells and infection-fighting antibodies, thus improving your resistance to disease.
- Laughter triggers the release of endorphins. This, of course, is the body’s natural feel-good chemicals. It can even temporarily relieve pain.
- Laughter protects the heart. Laughter improves the function of blood vessles and increases blood flow.
We all have heard people say, “No one is that happy all the time!” I will disagree with that. Abraham Lincoln once said that, “People are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” Each and every day I choose to be happy.
No matter what roadblock is thrown in front of me, it seems to always include in some form or another, insight. And, with insight, comes a sense of purpose, and with that in tow comes a better understanding, and ultimately, happiness.
So, laughter is just the beginning of the journey to living a healthy lifestyle. In the next few blogs, I will touch upon fitness, technology, food, and health.
So, what does your journey begin with to sustain a healthy lifestyle? Let us know…let’s keep the dialogue engaging.
As always, I am…the laughing Boomer Explorer.