Talk about sobering statistics…one half of all men and a third of women will get of the numerous forms of cancer in their lifetime.
Granted, just hearing the word “cancer” can send shivers down our spine, but the truth is we are making step-by-step advancements against many forms of this disease.
But, as we all know, the best way to beat cancer is not to get it in the first place. So here are 10 ways to cut or reduce your cancer risk:
- Cut the cola? Check this out; a study published in the journal Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention shows that those of us who drink 2 or more sugar-sweetened soft drinks a week are approximately 87% more likely to get pancreatic cancer. They suspect that the sugar in colas increase insulin, which has been shown to contribute to pancreatic cancer cell growth. Cutting soft drinks will also drop a few pounds.
- Gobble the Grapes. A study by the University of Colorado revealed that Resveratrol, a compound found in grape skins, helps prevent cancer by killing damaged cells before they replicate. Red wine provides the compound. So if you don’t partake in a glass of wine, grab a few grapes.
- Draped in Red and Blue. Since I was a redhead, have an over abundance of freckles, and skin that tends to sunburn, this particular tip made me sit up and pay attention. Protecting our skin from harmful UV exposure can be a chore. Here is an easy fix: simply choose red and blue clothing over lighter colors when out in the sun. This can help protect the areas on your body not protected by sunscreen. A wide-brimmed hat also helps shade your face from direct sun.
- Marinate, Marinate, Marinate. By adding Rosemary and Thyme to your favorite marinade an hour before you put the meat on the grill, these antioxidant-rich herbs can cut the cancer risk posed by charring your meat as much as 87%. That’s the story from Kansas State University researchers.
- It’s all about Plastic! We all are aware of the fact that plastic bottles aren’t great for the environment – both outside and inside the body. One study discovered about a third of bottled water brands contained bacterial or chemical contaminants, including carcinogens in levels exceeding state or industry standards. So, it is suggested to drink tap or filtered water.
- Watch for weird symptoms. Your voice sounds different: Probably laryngitis, but just make sure you get this checked out by your Doctor. Your breasts are itchy: It may be an allergy or infection, but this also may be a sign of an inflammatory breast. Check with your Doctor. Your waistband is tight: Your clothes fit fine everywhere else. Could be abdominal bloating or gas, but let your Doctor be the judge.
- Movin’ on up! One study of post-menopausal women shows that regular exercise can cut breast cancer risk by 10%. Another concludes that rigorous exercise (hiking or biking) can reduce colon cancer by up to 40%.
- Soup from scratch. Here’s a controversial statistic: the lining that coats almost 75% of cans of vegetables, soups and other foods contains a chemical called BPA, which studies report increases the risk of cancer. Since it is impossible to tell which cans contain BPA, you can avoid the entire issue by making your soup from scratch which is healthier and choosing fresh or frozen foods.
- Join the Squirrels! Nuts! Brazil nuts are full of selenium, an antioxidant that lowers the risk of bladder cancer in women. It is believed that selenium protects cells from free radical damage, boosts immunity and suppresses the formation of blood vessels that nourish tumors.
- Get Your Screenings! Make sure you schedule your screenings for Colon cancer, Breast cancer, Lung cancer, Prostate cancer, and Stomach cancer.
I guess if you pay attention to anything in this post, please make sure you get your screenings! This is one step you have total control over.
Please feel free to join the dialogue and give us your tips and suggestions for Cutting the Cancer Risk. We all need to work together to help stamp out this disease.
As always, I am…the Boomer Explorer.